SA LOTTO RESULTS AND INFOPlay
Estimated jackpot for next - 26.05.2018 is R12,000,000
HOW TO PLAY SA LOTTO
Playing this game is really easy. You need 6 numbers. Winning Lotto numbers are drawn every wednesday and saturday at 21:00.
- You need a Lotto Betslip, find it at your nearest Lotto retailer.
- Use a pencil or a pen to choose 6 numbers from 1 - 52 on any board.
- Take your Betslip to a teller and make your payment.
- You will get a receipt with your numbers, you can sign it at the back.
- Check winning numbers on this site, and don't throw away a receipt! Always double check numbers from different sources (tv, newspaper, https://www.nationallottery.co.za/results/lotto/).
EXPECTED PAYOUTS AND CHANCES
Prizes may vary. They depend on hit jackpots and number of winning players. Also it is connected with number of sold tickets. Although we know that prize for matching 3 numbers is guaranted. If you match 3/6 you get R 50. If somebody hit the jackpot the share of prize pool is quite similar to shown below.
|Matched numbers||Share of prize pool||Odds of winning|
|6 correct||73.0%||1 in 20,358,520|
|5/6 + Bonus Ball||2.3%||1 in 3,393,087|
|5/6||4.0%||1 in 75,402|
|4/6 + Bonus Ball||5.0%||1 in 30,161|
|4/6||8.4%||1 in 1,371|
|3/6 + Bonus Ball||7.3%||1 in 1,028|
|3/6||fixed R 50||1 in 72|
|2/6 + Bonus Ball||fixed R 20||1 in 96|
If you want to play the lottery you need to know what are the odds of winning the jackpotafter hitting results of Lotto, and also smaller prizes. To win the jackpot you must be the one of about 20 million possibilities (nr. of combinations). This means one coupon in about 20 milion sold wins the jackpot! Chances are smaller than that you die in a car accident. When you play, make sure that the ticket price satisfie your expectations in relation to what you can win. The chances of winning the individual prize divisions are shown in the table above.
LOTTO JACKPOTS AND ROLLOVERS
In this lottery game there is something we call rollover. Jackpot prize grows as long as nobody hit the 6/6 numbers and BB. This means pool for 1 prize division is rolled over to the next Draw's corresponding division. This provides sometimes great prizes opportunities. What is interesting there are more rollovers happening in lower divisions.
- If there are no winners in division 2-6 then the pool rolls down to the lower division, e.g. division 3 to division 4.
- If there are no winners in division 7 (quite impossible) then the pool rolls over to division 1 of the next draw.
- Breakage from any Lotto division rollover to the same division next draw.
HISTORY OF THE GAME
Ithuba is Lotto operator from 1st June 2015. However African Lotto game from South, is known from year 2000. First SA Lotto results were published after inaugural draw on 11 march 2000 (corresponding Lotto Plus 1 results are here). First jackpot was split between six lucky players. President Thabo Mbeki bought the first ever Lotto ticket in Cape Town few days before the draw. From then, Lotto remains most popular game in South Africa.
Ithuba made some changes to Lotto game on 2nd August 2017. Lotto Plus 2 additional game was proposed to the public. Lotto Plus became "Lotto Plus 1". From then all Lotto games had new number matrix of 52 numbers instead of 49. Prizes divisions and payout amounts changed. One division with fixed prize was added. Changes were made to make more and bigger jackpots.